9/14/11

To great white shark cage dive or not to great white shark cage dive

Doing a great white shark cage dive is on my Before 30 bucket list but I still am not sure if I can bring myself to do it.  I should probably first note that I am deathly afraid of sharks.  They are my biggest fear.  I have been known to have panic attacks on friends boats while in a lake (yes, I said lake...and to my defense I saw an epsiode of shark week regarding fresh water sharks).  When I was younger would often get too scared to finish my bath or stay in the swimming pool for any lengths of time.  It has seriously hindered me since childhood.  That being said, I should tell that story.

It all began when i was 3.  I went with my parents, aunt, uncle and cousin to Disneyland.  What a great time for a kid!  The next day we went to Universal Studios.  I was enjoying my tram tour, until we got to the shark exhibit.  My dad was throwing my up in the air and catching me down low near the water (as to make me feel like he might drop me in).  At this time JAWS was coming.  (side note- we are Scottish and have a dry/slightly sick send of humor).  My dad thought it would be fun to put me in the sharks face as it came up.  He did and I screamed bloody murder.  I cried so hard that I popped a blood vessel in my cheek.  Dad felt very bad but it didn't mask his laughing.  I am scared just looking at this picture now.

As I grew up my dad would call me into the room where he was watching tv.  When I walked in, he would quickly switch the channel to JAWS.  Or I would be taking a bath and he would come around the corner saying "dun na, dun na" the dreaded JAWS tune.

Since I've been older I've decided that I should face my fears and have been crossing my fingers that if I did do a great white cage dive, I wouldn't die of a heart attack first.  I once went to see the great white at the Monterey Bay Aqarium and about broke down in tears, as a 21 year old.  I am now a brave 27 and have found this place that I would like to try.  http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Great-White-Adventures/329238213644

I haven't decided if I am completely nuts.  Could I really come face to face with one of these things?  Can I literally stare by biggest fear in the face?  My heart is racing and I am breaking into a small sweat while just writing this post.  Not to mention the cost is $750.  I was going to post another picture of a cage dive, but was really too scared to looks at images on google.  So, hmmm... I think I'll wait another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment